Ascorbic acid is a water soluble vitamin that occurs as a white or slightly yellow crystal or powder with a slight acidic taste which serves as an antioxidant; it is found particularly in citrus fruits and green vegetables, essential maintaining connective tissue. Its deficiency includes faulty bone and tooth aches and bleeding gums, gingivitis sinusitis and so on.
- It helps stimulate the growth of collagen which is a protein that provides structure and elasticity to the skin thereby prevent or reduce premature wrinkles.
- It helps in protecting the skin from sun damage since it is an antioxidant it reduces the damage that free radicals may otherwise inflict on the body.
- Ascorbic acid also helps in reducing cytokines, damage result from exposure to ultraviolet light, but it should not be replaced with sunscreen, applying it as well helps protect.
- Ascorbic acid which is also known as vitamin C cannot reverse the appearance of wrinkle that appears naturally over time but it can help reduce premature aging as a result of sun exposure
- In achieving an even skin tone, vitamin C can be used to treat hyperpigmentation which are areas of the skin that appears darker than other parts due to sun exposure or hormonal changes, or aging.