Oxalic acid is known as ethanedioic acid and a type of dicarboxylic acid which is used in cosmetic products to as a ph adjuster and chelating agent, it is for professional use only because it reacts and forms complex with metal ions which either affects the stability or appearance of the product. It is a compound found naturally in many vegetables and plants, when it is in a solid state, it is colourless and odorless but it takes the form of white crystal substance after purification.
- Oxalic acid has acid bleach features and as such it is found in products like detergents and bleaches. It is used for the toughest cleaning duties in removing rust and stains on objects and metals.
- Industrially, oxalic acid is used in sterilizing equipment, used mostly for mineral processing mechanisms and the textile firms use it for leaching clothes.
- Medically, it is used for purification of certain chemicals or in other to dilute them especially photographic film.
- Oxalic acid can also be used in waste water treatment in other to remove calcium deposits effectively from the water.
- In polishing stones or old woods, oxalic acid can be used.