Sodium hypochlorite is measured as a sodium salt of hypochlorous acid, slightly yellowish in solution, clear with characteristic odor which can be effectively used for purification of water. It is commonly used in large amount for water disinfection, bleaching, surface purification and odor removal.
- Sodium hypochlorite is a known as a bleaching agent, an oxidizing agent and as a disinfectant while added to water that whitens and lightens
- Sodium hypochlorite is said to be a safe in food production and preparation, been added to in small quantity helps to destroy germs associated with raw foods.
- It is a solution that is been used in the hospitals, medical labs and nursing homes as a disinfectant, which helps to prevent the spread of infection among patients and workers.
- Sodium hypochlorite helps to treat and prevent skin tissue infections that can arise from scrapes, cuts and pressure sores, can also be useful in the prevention of wound infection before and after surgery.
- Sodium hypochlorite can be used in manufacturing industry including chemical industries, agriculture, food industries, pharmaceutical industries, water disposal industries, paper industries, synthetics industries, glass industries, paint industries and water disposal industries.
- Sodium hypochlorite is used in textile industry to bleach textile in order to reduce odors, also used to avert shellfish and algae growth in cooling towers.
- Sodium hypochlorite is considered to be a strong oxidator that reacts with inflammable components and redactors. These features must be kept in mind during transport, storage and use.